Lately, we’ve been writing about renewal and starting over, and as many of you know, we’ve been in the process of starting a digital publishing company.
Without further ado, we present our first book!
Our first book is finally here: PERFECT COFFEE AT HOME: Live the Journey, Learn Everything, Share with Friends.
We couldn’t be happier with the result. This is the definitive guide to coffee, told through the story of our own discovery as two Marines recently back from Afghanistan and in search of something new.
It’s unlike any other “how-to” book you’ve ever seen. We’ve designed it from the ground up to be interactive and to connect with how you learn best. With graphics and illustrations by Ben Blake, a soundtrack by jazz virtuosos Peter and Will Anderson, plus videos and text from the two of us, the whole story is an immersive experience.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN…
Want to know the two simplest ways of quickly improving your coffee at home? We’ll tell you.
Want to understand the coffee world without wasting 10,000 hours learning about it? We make it easy.
Want to brew the perfect French press for yourself or your family and friends? We’ll literally show you how.
A sample of the topics we’ll cover…
- Coffee Bean Basics, the difference between blade and burr grinders, and why you should use the all-important Golden Ratio
- How to brew a perfect…French press, pour over, Moka Pot, Technivorm, Aeropress, cold brew and siphon pot
- How to pick the right coffee beans, what factors play into the growing and roasting process, and what fair trade really means in the coffee world
- How to store coffee beans to make sure your cups are fresh every time
- How coffee beans are decaffeinated, our thoughts on caffeine, and how coffee affects your health
- How to fine tune your brewing for the best results
- How to take your coffee to the next level using science
- What tools we recommend and the principles that go into our purchasing
- How to measure the quality of your coffee extraction
- How to fine tune your coffee to reach perfection
- The spectrum of body and flavor clarity
- Water hardness and calcium concentrations throughout the US and what to do about it
- Why the Metric System is better and America needs to switch
…and why, in hindsight, it made perfect sense that two Marines would write a book about coffee.
THE NEXT CHAPTER BEGINS
- The changing world of coffee and publishing
- The ask
- An offer to friends in the media
Right now, America is undergoing a coffee renaissance, what’s known in the coffee world as the “third wave.” It’s the rise of light roasts and coffees that have more flavors and nuance to them than red wine.
But if you’re like us before our adventure, no one ever explained it to you.
You’re stuck drinking—and overpaying—for burnt, bitter brews when you could be enjoying the sweet complexity of a Brazilian Daterra or the bright acidity of a coffee from Africa.
You’re missing out on what could be special moments with family and friends.
And, you’re being left behind as the world of coffee changes.
Perfect Coffee at Home will fix that.
But this book is about more than coffee: It’s also a foray into the changing world of publishing, as new ways of telling stories evolve and writers develop new ways to connect with their audiences.
In 2004, Clay Shirky famously made the point that “the cost and difficulty of publishing absolutely anything, by anyone, into a global medium, just got a whole lot lower.” It’s been a double-edged sword. There’s a lot of garbage out there.
Our philosophy goes back to a time when artists created works that they were proud of and with staying power. Can you imagine the Beatles trying to use a focus group on “Please Please Me?”
The point is that this is a new beginning. For us as former Marines. For us as authors. For us as publishers. And with the barriers to entry lower than ever, we can come to you directly.
Which leads us to…
If this book sounds interesting to you, please take a moment to order right now from iTunes and share our story with your friends.
Here’s the link to the book’s website: www.perfectcoffeeathome.com, which you can use to access iTunes and which you can post on Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. Really any social media you can think of!
And since we’ve eschewed the standard publishing process, we’ve been able to price very aggressively at $4.99.
Coffee should be something accessible. It shouldn’t be pretentious. It shouldn’t be shrouded in mystery. It should be something that you can share with your friends.
Finally! To media, bloggers, and list owners
We’ve made very few media commitments thus far. Do you have a column, show, mailing list, or blog audience? Would you like to do a feature, an interview, or post an excerpt? Please let us know. There is a ton of material, including charts, graphs, videos, and pictures.
Shoot us an e-mail at email@example.com.